Monmouthshire’s Countryside Access Network Update (Covid-19)

Countryside Access

MonLife’s Countryside Access team manages 2,165 km of public rights of way and nine countryside access sites. Further information on exploring the countryside and walking in Monmouthshire is available on

About Rights of Way

What public rights of way are, the different types and who can use them.

Countryside Sites

Locate our sites, Bylaws & contacts 

Countryside access map

Find out where you can walk and ride and if a public right of way crosses your property.  Also view promoted routes and report an issue. 

Report a problem on a right of way

Report a problem on a public right of way

Public Registers, Closures, Amending and Correcting the rights of way map

Apply for a temporary closure, or apply to alter a route, or view the public registers to see what applications have already been made.

Public rights of Way Consultations

View current public rights of way notices.

Countryside Access Improvement Plan

Our plan to make the most of Monmouthshire’s countryside access

Landowner  Protection, responsibilities and assistance

Landowners are responsible for making sure people can access rights of way on their land.  Assistance is available for repairs

Monmouthshire Local Access Forum (LAF)

The LAF advises the County Council and other bodies on access issues in the county.

Countryside Volunteers

See what our volunteers do, form your own Group.   

Use our interactive map to report an issue on a right of way..

Alternatively you can email, or write to

Countryside Access, MonLife
Monmouthshire County Council
County Hall
The Rhaydr
NP16 1GA

Urgent issues such as broken bridge should be reported as soon as possible on 01633 644850

All reported issues are recorded and prioritised according to our prioritisation system which is published in the Countryside Access Policy, Protocol and Operational Management Report.

Rights of way in the Monmouthshire part of the National Park are managed on our behalf by Brecon Beacons National Park Authority.