Monmouthshire’s Countryside Access Network Covid Information
Stay Active, Stay Local, Stay Safe.
Whilst out on our countryside sites, or using public rights of way, please remember this guidance and follow these rules:-
- Going out to exercise is a valid reason to leave home and is encouraged;
- Exercise can be combined with other incidental activity that is beneficial to people’s health;
- Exercise should be local (generally travelling no more than 5 miles from home), involve minimal risk and must be done in accordance with advice on social distancing;
- People should seek to avoid exercising on paths, or in parks, or other places that are busy;
- Please be respectful of other people’s space and wait at a safe distance in places such bridges, kissing gates, or steps, until it is safe for you to continue on your walk;
- Please do not leave litter and be a responsible dog owner following the Dog Walking Code
Monmouthshire’s countryside sites and public rights of way, with exception of closures below, remain open for public use.
This is being kept under review and the situation may change if areas are identified where groups of people are congregating and actively ignoring measures set out by the Government. In addition regulations allow for people to be fined for not adhering to the rules.
Many footpaths and bridleways cross private land and in some cases working farms are close to private homes. Please keep to the paths, follow the countryside code, keep your distance from landowners and continue to follow the restrictions and measures in place to protect you and others. Also remember that its lambing season and dogs must always be kept under control.
By virtue of the Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (Wales) Regulations 2020 the following footpaths are closed, from April 2020, until further notice:-
The following car parks have been closed until further notice :-
Caldicot Castle Country Park car park
Rogiet Countryside Park car park
Lower Wireworks car park, Tintern
From 2nd June 2020 the following car parks have been re-opened:-
Blackrock Countryside Site Car Park (GRST512881)
Llanfoist Car Park (GR SOP286133)
All closures to public rights of way under covid regulations and car parks on Monmouthshire’s countryside sites will be kept under weekly review and any amendments will appear here.
Closures on paths due to flooding, dangerous bridges etc. can be found here.