Abergavenny Museum & Castle
We are delighted to announce that we are reopening our museum in Abergavenny and Chepstow from 18th May, on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays between 11am and 4pm. We have been working tirelessly behind the scenes to get our museum and shop ready to welcome you all back through our doors! We cannot wait to see you all!
Please note Monmouth Museum remains closed whilst we continue to work on the collections.
- There is no need to book ahead of your visit, you can simply walk in.
- Please be aware that we will be limiting the number of visitors allowed in the museum at any one time.
- Visitors will need to wear a mask or face covering and follow social distancing whilst in the museum.
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at various points throughout the museum.
- Visitors will be required to fill in a contact Track & Trace form – all of which are in accordance to Welsh Government Covid guidelines.
- Where possible please use card to purchase goods.
Abergavenny Castle grounds will be open daily to the public between 11am and 4pm.
We look forward to welcoming you all back.
Abergavenny Museum houses a wonderful collection of artefacts, permanent displays and temporary exhibitions, detailing the history of the town and wider area.
The museum, which was founded on 2nd July 1959, is located in a Regency building, built on top of a Norman motte within the grounds of Abergavenny Castle.
Today, the combination of a wonderful museum and picturesque castle represents a fantastic attraction for those looking to learn more about the area, explore the castle grounds, or find a great spot for a picnic.
The museum’s displays tell the story of this historic market town from prehistory through to the present day. The displays are on several levels, with some help most areas are accessible to wheelchair users.
Please click on the link below for more information;
- Permanent displays and temporary exhibitions
- The history of the museum and castle
- Collections and curation
- Visitor information
- Schools and education
- Local attractions
Monday – CLOSED
Tuesday – 11am – 4pm
Wednesday – CLOSED
Thursday – 11.00 am – 2:00 pm
Friday – 11am – 4pm
Saturday – CLOSED
Sunday – 11am – 4pm
T: 01873 854282