Young people and their families can contact us using an online form by clicking here.
The Youth Service is the award-winning, main provider of Youth Work in Monmouthshire.
The key purpose of Youth Work is to enable all young people aged 11 to 25 years old to develop holistically through a range of activities and opportunities.
Youth Work supports young people’s personal, social and educational development and empowers them to develop their voice and influence, and supports them to reach their full potential.
Youth Work is primarily based on a voluntary relationship between young people and Youth Workers, where young people choose to take part and are involved in the decision-making, design and delivery of a service to meet their needs.
In Monmouthshire, we deliver Youth Work in the community and in schools, offering activities and opportunities such as:
- Youth clubs (which run out of community buildings, usually one evening a week)
- Youth centres (based in town centres, open at least three evenings a week, where Youth Workers are based full-time)
- School-holiday provision (through our youth centres; outreach work in local parks, fields and wherever young people are; events and trips)
- DofE (run through secondary schools and ‘open award centres’, for young people aged 14+ across Bronze, Silver and Gold levels), which has been the number 1 D of E programme in Wales since 2018
- The Shift / Shift Primary project, which supports young people aged 11+ (and in Year 6) in the community and school who are in need of emotional well-being / low level mental health support through one to one work with a Youth Worker
- Engage 2 Change (E2C), Monmouthshire’s Youth Council, where young people are elected on with a view to represent all young people in Monmouthshire, challenge decision makers and ensure that young people’s voices are heard and changes are made
- Equality Street – an award-winning, LGBTQ+ provision which meets weekly and runs a Pride event as part of the service’s annual Diversity Festival
- Digital information and support (online or via telephone)
- School-based projects including the delivery of qualifications (such as the BTEC Landbased); issue-based workshops such as substance misuse, online safety, safeguarding and sexual health; the GIRL/BOY project (a 6 week programme with small groups of young people where they explore issues and feelings around growing up); Year 9 Summer Camp
- Transition work including Transition Youth Clubs, and the Year 6 Transition project offering an 8 week programme of workshops to Year 6 pupils, culminating in the annual Triathlon during Youth Work Week, when all participants are brought together ahead of going into Year 7
Young people are at the centre of what we do and Youth Work takes a person-centred, rights-based approach which works to the Five Pillars of Youth Work in Wales, where young people who access our service have opportunities for learning that are Educative, Expressive, Empowering, Participative and Inclusive.
All members of MonLife’s Youth Work team are professionally qualified Youth Workers and Youth Support Workers and are all registered with the Education Workforce Council (EWC) with a license to practice, the same as teachers and those in other education professions such as colleges and work-based learning / training providers. All staff hold up to date enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks and are fully trained in safeguarding young people.
Young people and their families can contact us for support and/or information via https://www.monlife.co.uk/youth-digital-support-form/ or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to volunteer, please contact email@example.com
Abergavenny – The Cabin
Old Hereford Road, Abergavenny, NP7 6EL
Tel: 07827 880055
Monmouth – The Attik
The Attik, Monmouth Youth Centre Whitecross Street, Monmouth, NP25 3XR
Tel: 01600 772033
Caldicot – The Zone
The Zone, Caldicot Youth Centre 1 Chepstow Road, Caldicot, NP26 4XY
Chepstow – Thornwell Pavilion
Tenby Lane, Bulwark, NP16 5TG
Part-time Youth Clubs
Portskewett & Sudbrook Youth Club
Portskewett Church Hall, Crick Road, Portskewett NP26 5UL
Tuesdays 6.30 pm to 8.00 pm
Rogiet Youth Club
Rogiet Sport Pavilion, Westway, Rogiet, Caldicot NP26 3SP
Thursdays 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm