Gilwern Outdoor Centre
Gilwern Outdoor Education Centre is on the banks of the River Usk in the village of Gilwern just four miles from Abergavenny in Monmouthshire.
Gilwern is ideal for larger groups who want to try a range of activities and take advantage of the Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains, Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal and more fantastic outdoor areas on our doorstep.
Gilwern is a flat, level site with modern buildings and offering accessible accommodation and Wi-Fi as well as indoor activities including our own climbing / bouldering wall. We also have a huge meadow on the banks of the River Usk, which is ideal for group camping.
We offer bookings for day visits as well as longer stays. Youth groups and school groups have used our facilities for Wild Tots (preschool children with their own leader) and Cubs and Scouts camps.
The 11-acre site accommodates groups in two self-contained lodges and can house up to 90 people in total. The centre is available for use by primary and secondary schools, youth organisations and adult groups. Resident groups will have sole occupancy of their lodge.
Gilwern is the first of our centres to win Green Flag status for its eco-policies. We recycle, compost, plant trees, put up bird boxes, monitor our water, electricity and minibus fuel use and much more. Work has now been completed in the Blorenge accommodation block converting the left hand section of the building into purpose-built disabled bedrooms and showers with their own wheelchair access.
Accommodation at a glance
- Sugar Loaf Lodge sleeps up to 49 students in dormitories plus four staff
- Blorenge Lodge has space for groups of up to 35 in dormitories plus three staff
- Purpose-built wheelchair accessible accommodation and bathrooms
- Classroom block with wheelchair access, disabled toilet and changing area
- Comfortable lounges and recreation areas
- Meeting rooms
- Dining accommodation in each of the main buildings
- Large gymnasium with indoor climbing wall
- Breakout rooms
- Environmental studies laboratory
- Specialist field study equipment
Download the Sugarloaf Lodge room plan
Download the Blorenge Lodge room plan
What activities are available at Gilwern Outdoor Education Centre?
On-site activities include:
- Large high-ropes course incorporating two climbing faces
- Other climbing challenges including ‘Jacob’s ladder’, trapeze jump, crate stack and team pole climb
- Recreation field, river frontage, wetland areas, broad-leaved woodland
- Forest skills area with fire circle
- Large meadow and camp site with access to water and toilets
Off-site there is almost unlimited adventure with everything our fantastic location on the edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park has to offer including:
- Canoeing on the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal
- Hillwalking in the Brecon Beacons
- Climbing and caving
- Mountain biking
- Field studies
How to find us:
Gilwern Outdoor Centre, Ty Mawr Lane, Gilwern, Abergavenny, NP7 0EP