About The Shire Hall
Ever wondered what happens inside the Shire Hall? Why not pop in and take a look?
Things to you’ll see
- View the Historic Courtroom 1 now fully restored to how it looked in the 1840’s.
- Visit the Holding Cells and experience the unpleasant conditions that prisoners of the day were subjected.
- Admire the Henry V Tapestry in Courtroom 2, which took Monmouth Broderers 4500 hours to create over a five year period.
- Speak to our in-house tourist guides for information on what to do, where to stay, places to eat, local attractions and what’s on in and around Monmouth, the Wye Valley and the Brecon Beacons. For a guided tour with one of our expert guides please be sure to book in advance so that we can make sure both Court Rooms and a guide is available to talk you through the History of the Shire Hall and the chartist movements. (Free admission for self show-arounds)
- Browse our well stocked Gift Shop to pick up local souvenirs, maps, books and brochures regarding Shire hall History and local attractions.
Monday – Saturday – 06.30am – 22:30pm
Sunday – By arrangement only
The Shire Hall is available to host Weddings, Functions & Corporate events between 8am and midnight.
*Occasionally during exclusive use celebrations, the Shire Hall may not be available during the above times so please do call us ahead if you are making a special trip to visit us.
We respectfully ask that vehicles only Park at the front of the Shire Hall for unloading/delivery purposes. Monmouth has a free car park at Cinderhill Street, NP25 5ES or just behind the Shire Hall is a Pay and Display Car Park on Glendower Street, NP25 3DF.
We can arrange for one of our knowledgeable guides to give you a guided tour. As part of the guided tour, you can find out more about the Chartist Trials of 1840 by visiting Courtroom 1 and the cells and see the glorious Henry V wall-hanging, which adorns Courtroom 2. Guided Tours are charged at £3 per person. Refreshments, if required, cost £1 per head. To arrange Group Tours of the Shire Hall please contact us on 01600 775257.